Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Laundry Soap

So as many of you know I have been making my own laundry soap for a while now. I think like 2.5 years. I have been asked how I make it and since I made more today I thought I would post what I use. I started making laundry soap after watching 18 kids and counting at the time now it is 19 and we don't have cable or dish so I can no longer watch. I follow Michelle Duggar's recipe with a little touch of me.

1 bar of favorite soap (grated)
1 Cup - 
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax

5 gallon bucket
cheese grater
store bought laundry soap


Grate a bar of your favorite soap into a pot that is about half full of hot water. I almost boil this, making sure it is hot enough to completely melt soap.

In a 5 gallon pail put the 1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda and 1/2 Cup Borax with about 2.5 gallons of hot tap water. I don't measure the water just fill the pail about half full. Stir this until all melted and then add in the hot soapy water. I also add in about 25oz of store bought laundry soap. I do this because when I first started to make laundry soap i was noticing no matter how hot I got the mixture when it cooled i seemed to have clumps. I have found when adding some store bought laundry soap it doesn't clump. After mixing this all up I fill the bucket to about 2 inches from the top and stir again and then set aside for about a day to cool before i use it.

You can also add essential oils to this if you wish I have not tried doing so I use faberic softener sheets that are scented and have no need for more scent.  I am sure you are thinking WOW 5 gallons of laundry soap but in reality when you take your old laundry jugs and fill them with your homemade laundry soap you only fill them half way and the rest with water. So you are really making 10 gallons for little to no money and time. I make this by myself in about 10 minutes. I have found it works just as good as any laundry soap I can buy at the store and it is cheap!!!








1 comment:

  1. I would love to make my own soap, but I live in an apartment building and we have high efficiency machines. Using non-HE soap will cause the machines to stop working. Do you have any tips on how to get around this since when I have my house I want the HE machines as well?

    ReplyDelete